Answered By: Stuart Purchase Last Updated: Oct 01, 2021 Views: 924
During October 2021 the British Standards Institute (BSI), our provider of the British Standards Online (BSOL), are introducing a new security feature, the FileOpen plug-in, which will be required to download and print their documents, e.g. standards.
On devices owned by Birmingham City University (BCU) the FileOpen plug-in should be automatically installed. Please contact the IT Helpdesk with any queries regarding the availability of the FileOpen plug-in on a BCU owned device.
To download a document your device must:
- Have the FileOpen plug-in installed
- Be connected to the Internet
- Have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader installed
For details of other compatible readers please see the BSI's Digital Rights Management Guide.
Once a document has been downloaded:
- You can retain a copy of the document on up to three of your own devices
- You can read the document offline
- You can print a single copy of the document (It is recommended that you print an entire document as printing a single page fulfills your printing allowance)
Please do not share downloaded documents with others.
Users of the web browsers Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge may need to change their browser settings in order to open a downloaded document. Please see the BSI's Digital Rights Management Guide or visit the BSI's online help pages for further advice and information.
Chat to us 24/7
Got a question?
Chat with one of our librarians during staffed hours, or one of our partner librarians from around the world outside of staffed hours. The service is available 24/7!